I ordered plexiglass panels. I have written words on the plexi that convey the heat and passionate of the issues of space and place in the North Maine Woods. I have it up in my Greenville downtown storefront, and I visit it to think about where it is at and where I want to be. Many folks are stopping to read the artist statement and discuss which mannequin they like the most. The words add narrative dirrecting focus into my critique of land as commodity, recreation and wild.
A walk is not just mechanical motion but also a space for critical thinking and creativity. My practice values narrating the geometry of my relationships. My photographs, as well as everyday items, souvenirs and interactions serve as frames that engage my life’s “open spaces” and areas of interest, including land use, domestic identity and social policy.
Friday, July 16, 2010
Maine Center for Contemporary Arts
Visited the center last week for a talk on landscape by artists in this year's biannual. A young woman from Peaks Island, Jessica George, applied resin over her painting. I really appreciated the reflective quality. As a viewer you feel a part of the painting. It takes on the space it is placed into for viewing. I have always appreciated this added effect of framing. I talked to Jessica about the process, but it involves the use of a torch to remove bubbles, so that is out with paper assemblage. Also, resin is nasty and I prefer not to consciously polute. Also, I like that my materials come from Ace hardware or found and saved in my studio.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment