Moon Rise

Moon Rise
View of White Cap Mountain

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth July Parade





A slow drive through town and it is over. It was an experience: Good, nothing bad and a little ugly. The turn out this year was impressive, people lining the road. It took two hours to plaster the truck with signs and screw everything to the flatbed. We parked and waited for an hour in line and the actual parade took half an hour. Many people clapped and laughed. Many asked what? I heard three young women ask what is zoning. While in line, State Representative Thomas firmly expressed that zoning sucks and exclaimed that no one should tell a property owner what to do with their land. My husband urged him to come back and let me explain the work. He came, but after Eric had told him to listen and not just blow right wing ideology, he was not open to discussion. He stated his case that zoning in Portland is one thing, but up here there is no need. I tried to explain to him that it was a discussion of access: historical, present and future, but he was not interested. Along the parade my husband noticed more women laughed and cheered than men. I had fun. I loved researching the piece and I hope some take time to look at the work and see all uses share the common need for space to recreate, work and live. The structure and boundaries are points of record and open for discussion.
Thank you to everyone who cheered and laughed, after the grumpiness in line I appreciated that some people were creative and open to poking fun.
Happy Fourth! Mildred.

No comments:

Post a Comment