Started the week attending a lecture at the Center for Contemporary Art in Rockland. The photography panelists represented artists, educators and professional services. I enjoyed the comments and critiques made by the alternative processes artist [who brought everything back to telling stories] and Andy Graham who sees the practise and spoke to the practise of art making. I was bored at several periods in the lecture as the conversation stuck on mundane redundant points of digital media: cool abilities, legitamacy of the input and value. This seemed lame to me. This is 2010; everything is art. Anything valued as communication and effective in its conveyance. Oh well... These excessive bows to professional photography and collector's resentments humored me if nothing else? I looked at Andy Graham's website and I am very excited that this studio can make my images huge so I can create the installation I've dreamed about as I drive that 28 miles again and again and again... Orange Tape!!!
The week took as side step due to family materials. I made the best of things and explored the collecting of stuff in my parents home. A dear friend, Dr. Fitchner, once said "Stretch. You're not a collector you're a consumer." The contradictions and mass of visual materials is awe strucking. I love the masses of books.
We made it back to the north woods and this morning I meet with my mentor to review the past month's work. It was a productive meeting reviewing, discussing choices that effect my voice, and looking to how I will present the works in Vermont. Great week. Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment