Moon Rise

Moon Rise
View of White Cap Mountain

Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

week twelve: October 25th on

Second Packet emailed on Monday with rough draft of visual culture paper. I find the De Certeau readings very challenging.  I photographed Greenville town manager John Simko on Tuesday. Thursday I attended the Univeristy of Maine at Bangor lunch and gallery talk with artist Todd Watts. He explained his inspirations and methodology for the recent works. He spoke about my faviroite piece inwhich a tree is repeated and birds fill the trees in different formations: random and grid. I keyed in on the topic given my interest in repetition and place. He spoke of how he had experienced photography from 60s Harry Callahan show in dictacted presentation to post modern installation experience of photography. At lunch I brought up the topic of Iceland because I have been reading Roni Horn's Library of Water and other works. A gentleman at the table discused how Iceland was a pure place genetically and ideal for genetic study. I was mortified by the generalization [thinking of Tibet and the assumptions placed on them] and humored by the assumption that anything is pure or absolute. Iceland is a flying hub and tourism mecca. The music scene produces amazing independent innovative work. It's history encompassed rich layers of blending build on thousands of years of the Vikings settling their booty and babes; Both were taken from throughout Europe and Eurasia. I am intriged by the colonial tone of discussion of northern remote places. I feel this in the North Maine Woods, Alaska, and in the Irish mythology and ledgends built on historical engagement with the Northern Invaders. The character of Balor illustrates the northern people. I am going to give this all thought and ponder...

No comments:

Post a Comment