Moon Rise

Moon Rise
View of White Cap Mountain

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

week eight—fourth Studio project and process paper

The process paper has consumed me. I have not been attentive to the weekly blog check ins on my process. I have retreated to my studio and spent less time online. The Process Paper is a critical component of the pedagogy at the Vermont College of Fine Arts. This reflection on one’s artistic and intellectual trajectory explains how process and practice locate the artist in terms of their actions and place, in their community, in contemporary art and the world of scholarly pursuit. This convergence speaks to the multi-centered and interdisciplinary discourse of knowledge, understanding and making conceptual work. My process paper will use proceeding visual culture topics as developmental signposts. Learning the contemporary theories and vernacular of Place, The Everyday and Affect reframed my work in identity and the human construction of space to engage the inter-subjectivity of meaning.
For my studio project I am, well, all over the place. This is not a new development. I usually have at three three projects working through my ideas. I am making postcards to my daughter daily on our relationships and the production of space. I am photographing studies of dinner plates and pillows examining hospitality and the place as commodity, and I am do a study of the water. I love the smell of pond water. Maine's abundance of water is a blessing. I want to convey the affective presence of movement water has on the sensory system. 
I hate writing [that is my rant in a nutshell], so this is a painful time. I love questions and relationships, but I have had to approach writing in a new way to get this project done.
Questioning became an equally supportive and productive process in my practice. It opened the in-between spaces and broadened my consciousness of differences, textuality, plurality and optimistic skepticism. Herein writing became an integral discourse in itself. I found the quieting of my mind and body painful, but the solitary practice of writing organized my thoughts and provided needed exercise on focusing my questions and staying on task. Effective communication is not a formula but an art of questioning, tweaking and working to develop and expand one’s own knowledge to clarify an understanding. The process is not linear and requires discipline and commitment to achieve results not necessarily apparent or tangible as a product. The satisfaction and achievement is the process of personal and shared engagement with ideas, situations, possibilities and opportunities. I now see the relationships that cross disciplines, interrogate motivations and suspend labels as key spaces to inspire and value human expression and experience. The questioning is a practice of plurality. It is learning the process of seeing beyond what you are looking at and knowing the texture will reveal additional value.
Back to the paper I go. This is a beautiful process however I feel like mincemeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment